Friday, May 8, 2009

Hair, Harry

Since deciding I would record dreams here, I haven't had one I remember.   

I can't decide if I prefer the day I don't wash my hair or the day I do.   This week I've been back and forth.  Yesterday was a good wash day, today is a so-so didn't wash day, but it was the opposite earlier this week.  I think I am committed to the every-other-day thing, though.  Bill tried to eschew shampoo for 5 days last week and ended up looking pretty homeless by day 4.  I recommended that he research pros/cons/methods before going cold turkey.

I've found that rinsing works better for me than the shower cap.  My sister has beautiful thick hair that can go to day 3 and still look lovely, and I know she uses a cap, but I always end up feeling like I've applied Crisco.

I'm starting to restart the 4th Harry Potter book for the 3rd time.  I'm into it, but I'm thinking this is the point in the series where JK started to get paid by the page.  It's good and all, but is it really necessary to drag out the part with Harry and Uncle Vernon discussing Mrs. Weasley's letter for 6.5 pages? We know he's going to bring up Sirius and Vernon's going to cave, so why delay?

4 comments:

  1. What kind of a shampoo do you use? My hair tends to be oily. I used to have to wash it every 24 hours. I did the baking soda thing for a few months. Now my hair takes longer to get all yucky looking, but I'm back to using shampoo every few days because I cut it short again. It is a different sort of shampoo though, and doesn't feel the same. It is nice to be able to skip a day now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a big jug of Aveda Camomile but I think my hair is starting to reject it after so many months of the same stuff. Those big jugs are a good value and all but I need more variety.

    I heard 1 tsp baking soda in a cup of water is what to do? What ratio did you use? Also, what's your new shampoo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never worried about a specific ratio. I take a cup with about 1 Tbs of baking soda into the shower with me, and when I'm ready, I add enough shower water to make it pasty. If I mix it beforehand, it cools off and is too much of a shock to dump on my head.

    It worked for a couple months, but then my head started feeling sticky for some reason. I think it might have helped to start doing an apple cider vinegar rinse.

    I had started using the Avalon Organics one, just because it was easy to get at Trader Joe's (though I usually only see the conditioner there). I didn't do any research or anything to know whether it was a good one or not. However, it is good on my hair. When I use it, it leaves my hair feeling just barely clean, so its not stripping all the oils out. Then my hair doesn't have to get all extra greasy to make up for it.

    It really takes some getting used to, after using normal shampoo my whole life and having a certain idea about what feels clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried using cornstarch? It absorbs the oil, and then you rinse. I've never tried it because it's not much less work that washing.

    ReplyDelete